23 January 2006

London: Lovin' That Longitude


All is well in London, where I've had a few days to tube around. Finally found a computer that will let me download photos!

I'm staying at a hostel in the neighborhood of Hammersmith, which is a half hour west of city center.

Weather's good and chilly. Coming from Minnesota it isn't much, but then again, strolling down those old, storied avenues, wind whipping my back, only to read "Toilets are for customers only" on all the restaurant doors -- this is disconcerting. Y'all know I aint no customer in no restaurant. I'm more the fish 'n chips type, which also has its drawbacks in that fish 'n chips is strictly a take-out food, no exceptions. They hand you the cone of cod and it's off you go, old chap.

Visited No. 3 Abbey Road yesterday morning in the place of church. I had every religious right to be there, you know, seeing as how Sgt. Pepper's was created there. It amazes me how you can go to St. James Park, right off Trafalgar Square, and literally watch Japanese tourists snapping photos of squirrels, then come out to the Beatles recording studio to find it delightfully unmarked, unadorned. There were session musicians carrying their violins out to their Mercedes, so I knew I'd reached the right place. Very nearly wept. (Proper church came this evening, at evensong in Westminster Abbey! Thanks to those who recommended it!)

The British Museum had certainly captivated me as a lad, en route to India with my family back in '95, so the return trip was inevitable. All the magic, all the splendor of an aging empire that won't give anything back. The Rosetta Stone is sure to impress, as with the other Egyptian artifacts, but what blew me away even more were the Assyrian temple pieces, and how you could walk right up and touch them! Also saw the entire frieze and many other decorations from the Parthenon. (Apologies to my sister Emily, on a trip to Greece at the moment: We got all the good stuff over here!)


I've long known it that London is home to some of the absolute best and absolute worst in news reporting. The fact that nearly every one of today's editions contained a four page commemorative photo insert on the bloody whale that wandered into the Thames, well, gave me something to read on the ride home.

And finally, dig the shot of me at Greenwich Observatory, straddling the Prime Meridian! This is where time begins, folks. Made a point of synching up my new Casio Illuminator F-105 while I had the chance.

Hopefully will be able to share more about London before I'm off to the continent!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greenwich is great, but the real question is... Did you try the stewed eels at goddards pie and mash?

Transputressant, they needed a word all their own so I made one up, and litterally the cheapest meal in London. Did you walk under the thames? That was creepy and bathroomesque...

Keep rockin'... I'm soooo jealous.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

Reg, I'll leave the minced pies to you pasty folk. I'm more into the ethnic food scene here. Had a donner kabab today about the size of my head.

Thanks for the recommendation on evensong at the Abbey. The boys' choir was heavenly. Chose a different a approach to exploring St. Paul's today, that being going during tourists' hours to get a nice, daytime look at the place. What a view from the top!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke,
I have been accepted into medical school. Jefferson Medical School in downtown Philly no less. Let the magic happen. I have begun the 'search' to see if i can afford the trip to India. Keep it real.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home