27 January 2006

Amsterdam

Wrapped things up in London on Wednesday and hopped a cheap flight to Amsterdam.

What a beautiful city! This is my first experience with canals, so I'm really doubled over just walking around. Skinny houses, cute little brick bridges, blondes on bikes: lovely, all of it. Still pretty cold, though, so I can't stop and stare for too long. Luckily, my trademark airheadedness with maps has spared me at the moment, as I'm finding Amsterdam's streets to be easily navigable.

First sightseeing venture was yesterday at the Rijksmuseum, where the works of several Dutch masters from the "Golden Age" of the 17th Century are on display. The museum, which is gigantic, is actually undergoing renovations right now, so the collection has been pared down to fit a single wing, only about 25% of the whole complex. I didn't mind: It was much like a highlights tour. All the Rembrandt's were in one room, including The Nightwatch. Elsewhere were Vermeer, Hals, and many other artists I hadn't known before. Also there were many artifacts from the glory years of the Dutch East India Company, like a baby cradle ornately designed in ebony and ivory.

On to the Van Gogh Museum today, Anne Frank house tomorrow. Hopefully I can add photos later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy trails BIL! Don't wander into any districts with red lights, those are scary.
If you make it to Belgium, make sure to hit Brugge (large walled city), Liege, but most importantly Brussels and Waterloo. If you end up bumming around Waterloo, which you probably won't have time for, see if you can find St. John's International School and take a few snaps for me, that is my old stomping ground.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home