20 March 2006

Bethania Visit No.1: Injambakkam



As they led us inside, to this very cross-legged scene, we were showered with flower petals. Through the fragrant downpour could be heard a masterfully rehearsed greeting: "Good morning, Uncle!"

Immediately we took our seats onstage as those little lungs -- all 125 pairs of them -- belted out an enthused, melodic welcome. Following, a sea of shining white teeth. I was floored. Here it is. Bethania! Alive before me!

A fast-paced cadence of songs, prayers, and readings -- mostly in Tamil, the official language of Tamil Nadu -- finally registered as comprising a Sunday morning service. Head still in full spin, they had me get up give a speech. Accomplished little more than compliment the girls on their flowery hairdos (who knows how it translated!).

The formalities finished, it was on to the talent show. Acts ranged from a toddler's single-breath take on 'Jesus Loves Me' to an intricately choreographed dance from a girl in makeup and a 50 Cent T-shirt to a group of boys' rendition of that classic morality play, 'The Master Who Comically Beat His Servants with a Stick.' Having come down from the stage to sit among the boys on the floor, it was all I could do to pay the talent due attention. A dozen of the curious crawled across my foreign figure for oddities to peruse. Toes were tickled, sunglasses were sampled, biceps were compared. Also popular was how my sunburned forearm left an imprint after a firmly applied finger.

Personal space was regained -- though mutual fascination lingered -- during lunch: a tasty, special Sunday menu of chicken curry, masala rice, and sweet curd. Miraculously, each eager appetite kept at bay until all were served and thanks were given. I took my own plate with the kids in the shade while Dad snapped photos (most seen here courtesy of his flash new digital SLR!). And then, before I could even lick my fingers clean, I was whisked back to the hotel! Bethania visit No. 1, over and done!

The orphanage at Injambakkam, located on the coastal outskirts of Chennai, houses 95 girls; the boys had come over from another Bethania home down the road. Both are overseen by one John Sathiyakumar, a truly loving man clad in perpetual purple.

We were riveted to hear John tell us of last year's tsunami. Scores of nearby fishing huts were washed away, and Bethania-Injambakkam was filled to the roof! That's where most of the boys came from: they're 'Tsunami Kids'. You can imagine the scene John had on his hands! Dozens of panicked children beating down the door of an orphanage under water!

And now to look at them. Scarcely a year has past since that catastrophic day. What trauma must have rocked their fragile, young souls; what instant, insurmountable grief! But tell me, is there an ounce of that fear to be seen in those smiles? Are these children bitter in the least over the lot given them?

Inspiration defined.









3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke,

What beautiful words about the mission at Bethania. I felt like I was there among the children. It also made me feel so good about supporting this worthy cause. Your family has done good work in promoting this mission at Mount Olive. I hope that you planning to do an educational hour at Mount Olive when you return. It would be fascinating for all.

Gene,

Good work on the pictures! The children are beautiful and tell so much of their story. I'm glad you were able to give Luke some luxuries upon your arrival, though I'm sure his blog won't be quite as interesting now!

Happy travels!

Carol Peterson

11:51 AM  
Blogger Jason Gendler said...

Hmmm... now I get where your almost compulsive kid-photographing tendencies come from, Luke. Like father like son, I suppose.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir I am old student my photo send me sir my WhatsApp num is 6369697912 my gmail sudharsanam607@gmail.com

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home