18 February 2006

Photos: Jaisalmer

And here are the promised camel photos, plus others from Jaisalmer.



"Wassup. I'm a camel."

I signed up for a two day, one night camel safari. We boarded our beasts after a brief jeep ride and began a long day through the scrubby desert to the glorious Sam Sand Dunes. The camel drivers were also remarkable cooks, making us fresh chapatis and veg curry. I was all set to spend the night under the stars, but I could feel a cold coming on, and took the chance to jeep it home same night. A shame, I know, but why take chances with your health in India?





The entire year I spent in Korea, I NEVER thought I would encounter globetrotting Korean students, least of all in India! I figured they didn't go anywhere without an air-conditioned bus and a high-octane tour guide. But no! The young ones are actually branching out into the world, using their English! The very thing I was trying to teach! You'll notice this pair of girls isn't entirely free of their Far East conservatisms: dig the tightly-wound -- if brilliantly colorful -- scarves to protect against the dusty air!






At the Jaisalmer Desert Festival, local colors are worn proudly.








Camel racing. Not exactly the Melbourne Cup, but good for a laugh.











Back in town: Jaisalmer Fort, which dates back to 1156!











Inside, a maze of temples, restaurants, and wonderful handicrafts. The colors on these blankets blew me away.









A peak inside the Jain Temples, in Jaisalmer Fort.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason Gendler said...

Yeah, me too. I'm so proud/impressed!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home